Sunday, November 23, 2008

Dangerous Bliss

The 23 things blog designated week four as "play week" and I visited the following sites: The Generator Blog, Library Thing, Livemocha, and Web 2.0 award winners.

I think I lost several hours of my life playing with The Generator Blog. I now know that "Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding" from the Chuck Norris Random Fact Generator and that my Depeche Mode name is "Dangerous Bliss." I also had to force myself to stop clicking through The Random Kitten Generator even though I am a life-long dog lover. The only drawback to The Generator Blog (other than losing several hours of my life) is that I discovered a number of links were no longer operational.

Library Thing is to librarians (and book lovers) what Ravelry is to knitters. Ravelry's library feature enables knitters to share their book "stash" with their online friends as well. I think sites like this are very useful in bringing people with common interests together and that Library Thing is a potentially useful tool for promoting the VHS collections. I enjoyed scrolling through some of the VHS library and will have to take a look at Alec's Legacy by Frank Robinson to find out why a Celtic cross is on the cover.

I did not engage in a conversation on Livemocha, but I will keep the site in mind if I ever decide to learn Hindi and surprise my brother's in laws.

I think the Web 2.0 award winners site is very useful if you are looking for the top sites in a specific category that interests you. I was pleasantly surprised to see Etsy on the list under retail. The internet has so much information I could spend (and have spent) hours examining only a small little corner of it. I also think the number of hours I spend on the computer are both "dangerous" and "bliss." It's a good thing that I don't watch that much t.v. I'd never get anything done.



No comments: