Monday, October 20, 2008

"I wonder how long it will take you to get this?"

My cousin sent the above text message to my uncle a few years ago.  He surprised himself by finding it a couple of hours after she sent it.  I don't use my cell phone for text messaging.  I'm not resistant to the technology.  I'm presently resistant to the cost.  

So what do I think of Twitter?  I'm not sure how I would use it.  Accessing "tweets" through a cell phone as a text message or through a desktop application, like Twitterrific, makes the most sense because logging into a web site to retrieve "quick updates" seems counterintuitive.  I can always dream about winning the lottery and buying at least one iPhone, but the desktop application is the more realistic option for me.  I spend most of days in front of a computer anyway.  (Note to self:  In order to have a chance at winning the lottery, you must purchase a lottery ticket.)

And what would be my purpose for using Twitter?  Personal or professional?  I already use Facebook to micro-blog and my family and friends can see my posts there.  And now that I really think about it...I have a friend that uses Plurk, a competitor of Twitter.  Do I Twitter or Plurk?  I wonder how long it will take me to get this?

1 comment:

23 Things @ the VHS said...

I totally appreciate the thought you are putting into this. THank you!! A couple of quick notes:

1. Facebook has a Twitter application so that all your tweets are added as your facebook status. I am currently using that in conjunction with Twitterfox and love it.

2. I think there are applications out there that will allow you to read tweets and competitors' "tweets" through one program. Check out Feedtweeter. That's one such program, although I'm sure there are others.

I really enjoy reading your posts! Thanks for playing!